John & Kay

….. and can I just say thank you so much for your patience, kindness and effort above and beyond the call of duty, from the time of our first meeting to the days following 'the big day'.

You were very professional throughout but also obviously happy at what you do - it showed and you glowed. If you ever need a reference or should we be able to add one to your web etc details then please let us know - we would be pleased to do so.

John & Kay

Legal Requirements

A Marriage in Australia can take place at any venue, and at any time and date of the couple’s choosing.  The Marriage must be performed by a legally appointed Civil Marriage Celebrant or appropriate Religious Minister according to the Marriage Act 1961.  Civil Marriage Celebrants are appointed by the Attorney General’s Office in Canberra.

General Legal Requirements

  1. The Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM) must be completed, signed, witnessed and lodged with the Celebrant not less than one month, and not more than 18 months prior to the wedding date.
  2. At least one party must be over 18 years of age. If one is under 18, the other person must obtain parents’ authorisation and a court order giving permission to be married
  3. Australian Citizens – Official Birth Certificate obtained from the State Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages.
  4. Non Australian Citizens – Official Birth Certificate from country of birth or a current Passport from country of birth.
  5. In the event that either party has been married previously, a decree absolute, or certificate of divorce must be provided. In the event of the death of a partner, a death certificate must be provided.
  6. If either party has changed their name, documents certifying this must be produced.
  7. The bride and groom must state the Minimum Legal Vows which must be audible to the witnesses and any others present.
  8. There must be two witnesses over the age of 18.
  9. The appointed Celebrant must state the Monitum: “I am duly authorized by law to solemnise marriage according to law. Before you are joined in marriage in my presence and in the presence of these witnesses, I am to remind you of the solemn and binding nature of the relationship into which you are now about to enter.  Marriage, according to the law in Australia, is the union of a man and a woman to the exclusion of all others, voluntarily entered into for life.”

Couples From Overseas

The Notice of Intended Marriage form must be completed and in the Celebrant’s possession at least 1 month prior to the date of the ceremony. (This form is available in the Documents section of this website).

Your signature must be witnessed by one of the following:

  • Australian Diplomatic Officer
  • Australian Consular Officer
  • An employee of the Commonwealth or an employee of the Australian Trade Commission authorised under paragraph 3(c) of the Consular Act 1955.
  • A Notary Public (If you cannot get to an Australian Embassy or Consulate using the services of a Notary Public will make completion of the Notice of Intended Marriage Form easier to arrange).